Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Catching Up

Do you remember when we were dating and you took me on that date to Starbucks? You had to leave for Army Basic Training in San Antonio just a few days after we were engaged. We spent our entire engagement apart, only seeing each other a couple of times before our wedding. I thought I would die from the ache of being apart from you. You were so thoughtful when you called to tell me that you had come up with a way for us to continue to go on dates even though there were a 1000 miles between us. You told me you wanted to take me on a date to Starbucks. We both were deeply engrossed in a love affair with their Double Chocolatey Chip Frappuccino. You told me to go to the Starbucks in Mesa at 6pm and you would arrive at the same time at the one in San Antonio. We would both buy a drink, call each other, and then sit there and talk while we enjoyed our treat. I was convinced you were the most romantic boy on the face of this planet.

I spent the hour before our meeting time curling my hair, paying special attention to my makeup, and picking out an outfit that I felt complimented my "never carried a child", still super slim figure. Even though I knew you couldn't see me, I wanted to be in the right frame of mind to spend time with you. I arrived a couple of minutes early, ordered my drink, and settled into the modern sofa in the corner for our intimate date. We talked about your struggle to find your place in the Army, my cache of stories from my first year of teaching middle school, and plans for our upcoming wedding. After an hour had passed, I gave up the couch to the next customer and left feeling like I had connected with you on another level, despite the worlds between us.

We haven't gone on a date in a long time.

My mom randomly stopped by today and offered to watch the kids while I took Reagan to ballet. This gave me a 45 minute window during her class to spend however I wanted. I knew immediately what I wanted to do with this rare luxury. We were going on a date. I arrived at our Starbucks, ordered my Double Chocolatey Chip Frappuccino, and settled into the couch in the corner. I didn't touch my phone. This time was about you and me. I wanted to give you my undivided attention. I sipped slowly on my cold drink and thought about the differences in me since the last time we were in this place. I'm carrying 25 extra pounds, courtesy of 4 beautiful children. My hair was pulled into a messy pony tail, and I was wearing my mom uniform. Skinny Jeans. Black t-shirt. Tennis shoes. Nothing special here. I have several fine lines on my face that weren't there the last time we did this, and the little bit of makeup I put on this morning has since worn off.  Instead of having a single solitaire diamond engagement ring on my left hand, I wear a wedding ring on the ring finger of both hands. Sometimes I don't even recognize myself.

I closed my eyes as we talked about Reagan, how I don't think about you as often as I would like, and how you don't talk to me nearly as often as I would like. I squeezed my eyes tight to hold back the tears that threatened to escape, feeling the ache from the distance that separates us. I sat there, just you and me, a million miles apart, but somehow together at the same time. It was good to catch up.


No comments:

Post a Comment